Do You Need A Supplemental-Needs Trust For A Family Member?

Many people want to provide for a disabled child or spouse in their estate plan. However, if the family member is receiving government benefits such as Medicaid or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), giving money or assets to the person directly can have unintended consequences. As a result of the inheritance, your family member could become ineligible for government benefits. His or her inheritance could then be exhausted paying for care.

The attorneys of Chandler and Brown, Ltd., can help you provide assets to a disabled family member without making them ineligible for government benefits. Our law office is in St. Paul, and our lawyers serve families in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Call us at 651-964-6087 for a free initial consultation about leaving assets to a disabled family member.

Creating A Supplemental or Special-Needs Trust

Our lawyers can help you establish a supplemental-needs trust (also known as a special-needs trust if using the disabled person's own assets) for your family member. By placing assets in the trust, the assets won't be owned by your family member. As a result, funding the trust will not make your family member ineligible for government benefits.

Special-needs or supplemental-needs trusts can be used to provide for medical and dental care, transportation costs, food, clothing, assistive devices and other needs. The trusts must be set up properly to protect assets from taxation misuse and to ensure the beneficiary is not disqualified from receiving government benefits. Our firm will establish the Trust and assist you with appointing the right trustee. You can also appoint a trusted family member to serve as trustee.

Schedule A Free Consultation About Supplemental-Needs Trusts

To discuss your estate planning for a disabled family member with an attorney at our law firm, call us at 651-964-6087. You can also reach our office online.